Last update: August 1st, 2022
ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION FOR CHILDREN
Our Sites are not intended for use by persons under the age of 13. If you are a minor between the ages of 13 and 18, you may use our Sites only in the company of a parent, legal guardian or other responsible adult. Any other use by minors is strictly prohibited.
WHAT WE COLLECT AND WHY
As an educational institution and employer, CUF maintains records of our past, present and prospective students and employees. CUF also has business ties with educational and employment partners and, as such, maintains records of the individuals we work with through these partnerships. Information, including personal information, is collected by CUF in a variety of ways at different points in an individual's interaction with CUF for many possible purposes. The following sections describe in more detail the type of information we have, and how we may collect and use that information.
TYPE OF INFORMATION WE HAVE
Information collected, stored and processed by CUF may include:
- Your contact information (e.g., name, personal or work mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, employer and job title) and other personal information, including information about sensitive personal information used to process requests and applications related to admissions, financial aid, employment, partnerships, study abroad or other CUF programs and services (e.g., date of birth, age, gender, sex, state or federal identification numbers, nationality, marital status, military status, parental and dependent information, educational history, employment history, professional certifications, passport and visa information, medical history information, insurance, tax and income information).
- Records of your communications with CUF (e.g., your IP address, login and logout dates, email open dates, email clicks, web traffic, contact preferences, student contact history, chat communications, and feedback survey information).
- Technical information about your visit to or use of our Sites, (e.g., site analytics, browser information, referring URL, pages accessed, time and date of access, operating system used, Google Analytics ID, other tracking data, session count, user count and device type).
- Marketing data such as prospective students and partners, current interests and preferences (contact preferences, settings, etc.), your appearance and photo.
- Records related to your time at CUF and your subsequent affiliations with CUF (e.g., records of student work submitted through our learning management system and other academic records, financial aid records, among others).
The above list is not exhaustive, but we hope it will help you better understand the type of information we collect. The exact information we collect, store and process about you will depend on your relationship with us. Not all types of information is collected about everyone.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM YOU
We generally collect information in two ways: (1) when you voluntarily provide it to us, and (2) automatically when you visit or use our Sites.
You voluntarily provide information to us when you choose to use the web forms, electronic applications, chat features and other online communication tools available through our Sites, and when you choose to provide information through your interactions with our student advisors, admissions and financial aid staff and other authorized CUF representatives who conduct college business.
AUTOMATIC COLLECTION THROUGH COOKIES AND OTHER TECHNOLOGIES
- Cookies strictly necessary for the operation of our Sites.
- Performance and functionality cookies that improve the performance and functionality of our Sites and services, allow us to recognize you and personalize content.
- Analytics and advertising cookies that allow us to understand the effectiveness of our marketing and make our advertising more relevant to you and your interests.
Web beacons (also called clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) are electronic files (code) that allow us, for example, to count users who have visited certain pages and for other website-related statistics (e.g., to understand the popularity of certain website content).
When you interact with any CUF page or account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Tumblr, YouTube or Pinterest, when you use a third party platform's social login on our properties, or when you use web forms on those platforms, we may collect the public information you make available there in accordance with the platforms' respective policies. We also sometimes collect personal information about you from third party sources, such as our service providers and partners, who have obtained your personal information through their own data collection practices (for example, if you register directly with that third party for their service).
Some third parties that provide information to us may also share your information with other parties. Be sure to read the respective privacy policies of these parties to understand their data collection practices, including how they may use the information they collect from you and their options for managing the data they share.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may use, process, transfer and store information about individuals on an anonymous (or pseudonymous) and aggregated basis. We may combine personal information with other information collected online and offline, including information from third party sources. We may also use information in other ways with consent. By using our Sites and services, you agree that we are authorized to collect, use, share and store anonymous (or pseudonymous) aggregated data collected through our Sites and services for benchmarking, analysis, research, reporting, machine learning and other business purposes.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
In general terms, your personal information will be used by us for the purpose of contacting you regarding the information you have requested, together with aggregate information and cookies, and/or to improve our education and other services, our marketing and our Sites. We may store your information in order to communicate with you about the educational programs and services offered by our university and to send you updates as they become available. We also use the information we collect to administer our educational programs and conduct other university activities, to provide services to our students, partners and employees, and to make other products and services available to people in the CUF community. From time to time, we may also use the information we collect to notify you about important changes to our Sites or services, new services, educational programs and related offerings that we believe will be of value to you.
Some more specific examples of how we may use your information include:
- Providing services to our students, such as evaluating applications for admission, financial aid or student employment, completing course registrations, enrolling in academic groups or other programs, collecting tuition, facilitating study abroad, providing parking passes and permits, facilitating their requests for computer support, completing their requests for membership in our community or workplace partners and providing our online training and educational programs.
- To provide services to our alumni, such as sending news, information, invitations and surveys, sending donation and pledge requests, reviewing web traffic and email clicks to provide engagement statistics.
- Provide you with service or security alerts or announcements.
- Evaluate employment applications and provide employee onboarding and other employment-related services, such as payroll services, benefits enrollment, technical assistance and employee training.
- Marketing uses, such as targeted advertising through social media and other digital channels, ranking and building audiences, sharing content on social networks, tracking potential customers for analytics and communication purposes, conducting market research, surveys and other similar inquiries to help us understand our users' trends and needs, and distributing newsletters, articles, event invitations and other information we think may be of interest to you.
- To prevent, investigate or report fraud, illegal or criminal activity, or unauthorized access to or use of personal information, our website or data systems, as well as to investigate or resolve inquiries initiated by current or prospective students, to comply with our legal obligations, to serve the public interest or public health, and for other lawful purposes.
LEGITIMATE INTERESTS FOR THE PROCESSING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Most of CUF's collection and processing of personal information will fall into one or more of the following categories, depending on your relationship (past and present) with CUF:
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by CUF, such as providing, enhancing and customizing our educational offerings, administering our operations, maintaining relationships and fostering connections between members of the CUF community, exploring ways to develop and grow our operations, enhancing fraud protection and security risks, offering participation in events and other engagement opportunities, understanding how our online platforms are used, etc.
- The processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or to carry out your orders to us.
- The processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which CUF is subject.
- You have consented to the processing of your personal information for one or more specific purposes.
There are some cases where the collection and processing of personal information will be carried out in accordance with other legal bases.
At CUF, we believe in maintaining a long-term relationship with the members of our CUF community. Therefore, unless otherwise required by applicable law, we will normally maintain a record for you. To opt-out of marketing-related email communications, you can visit our Subscription Center.
SHARING OF INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
CUF does not sell personal information to third parties for their commercial use. However, we may share information with third parties, including our service providers, partners and affiliates, as indicated below:
These service providers are used for:
- Payment processing
- Marketing and statistics
- Job application processing
- Admissions application processing
- Alumni outreach and engagement
- Event registration and coordination
- Course registration and coordination
- Course evaluations and assessments
- Research analysis and reporting
- Human resource management
We may share your personal information with our workplace, community and education partners for the purpose of administering programs and services, such as:
- Shared enrollment in courses with other institutions
- Study at universities abroad
- Online education offerings through virtual platforms
- Partner-sponsored trainings and events
- Joint research agreements with other universities or institutions
- Events with clubs and special interest groups
- Member-sponsored tuition reimbursement or discount programs
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
To protect personal information from unauthorized access, use and disclosure, CUF maintains an information security program and employs appropriate physical, administrative and technical security measures. CUF periodically conducts risk assessments of its information security program and prioritizes remediation of identified security vulnerabilities. However, we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, use or loss will never occur.
LEGALLY REQUIRED DISCLOSURE
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
ACCESS TO OUR SITES FROM OUTSIDE THE U.S.
For privacy requests or inquiries, please contact us by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org